A lot of sustainability Youtubers I watch (Shelbizleee, Gittemary Johansen, Sustainably Vegan, etc) have talked recently about their weird habits they have to be low waste. I loved watching their videos and it made me think about all the weird things I do myself. So here’s my own personal list of weird habits:
- Unplugging almost every electronic appliance after use (toaster oven, lights, etc.)
- Plugging in cord to phone or computer before putting into outlet
- Diluting soaps and shampoos
- Collecting wax from far-gone candles
- When rinsing out an object (for recycling or cleaning), I use about a knuckles worth of water.
- Leftover water always finds a place. Whether it’s for a plant, fill our pets water dish (depends on previous use obviously), or soaking a dirty dish are just a few examples.
- Rewearing workout clothes if they aren’t super sweaty or stinky. In general, I’m not a very sweaty person so I can see why this wouldn’t work for everyone.
- Old socks for dusting
- Old toothbrushes used for cleaning
- Two separate compost bins in the freezer. One is for veggies for broth and another for anything else.
- I don’t shower everyday (Hi mom!). If I’ve spent the day indoors, I’ve done nothing to exert myself to require a shower.
- If it’s yellow, let it mellow. If it’s brown, flush it down.
- Using residual heat from the oven or stove to cook the last 5-10 minutes of your meal. Plus there’s less cooling time, which is great if you’re cooking while hungry.
I might come back and update this list at a later date, but here’s just a random list to give a few ideas. Hope you enjoyed reading!